Crab Flig - Size 2
## DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, PLEASE ALLOW UP TO 10 DAYS FOR YOUR FLIGS TO BE MANUFACTURED ##.
## Designed to imitate a small crab fleeing across the flats ##
Bonefish are one of the world's great sport fish, they frequent shallow flats in exotic locations, are hard to spot (even in 12 inches of clear water), have amazing eyesight, are easily spooked by a clumsy presentation or angler, actively hunt prey, have amazing bursts of speed courtesy of their oversized tail and are beautiful to handle. As such they have long been in the realm and dreams of the Saltwater Flyrodder.
But what IF you could target them using artificials with a light tackle spinning outfit?
November 2021 saw me return to the Cocos Keeling Islands with a new addition to our proven Flig range, in the form of a 'Crab Flig'. Inspired by the highly successful Alphlexo Crab fly. Plenty of research on the internet, chatting online with bonefish guides, sourcing materials and the right hooks, brushing up on Fusion 360 and the 3D printer, moldmaking and jig tying, finally resulting in these innovative, 'crab' fligs. Testing with these prototype crab fligs was another large learning curve, but just as before with the shrimp fligs, amazingly rewarding. Unlocking the key to chasing bonefish on the 'crab' was very exciting. Now, where are those permit?
- tropical flats predators such as trophy bonefish, barred trevally, bluefin trevally and permit.
- Australian estuary species such as black and yellowfin bream.
- 'premium' size 2, XH Mustad black nickel hooks.
- approximately 1/14oz.
- innovative internal keel design means the crab flig will always land the right way up.
- realistic crab colour schemes to suit various environments.
- chockletts body tubing.
- chenille legs and claws.
- premium 'crab eyes'.
Colour Schemes: (Left to Right)
- Cocos Crab / Tan - tan body, tan keel, tan binding, tan chenille legs and claws, black eyes . (recommended for Bonefish)
- Cocos Crab / Tan & Orange - tan body, orange keel, tan binding, tan chenille legs and claws, black eyes . (recommended for Bonefish)
- Cocos Crab / Ghost - white body, white keel, white binding, white chenille legs and claws, black eyes . (recommended for Bonefish)
- Cocos Crab / Ghost Camo - white body, white keel, white binding, white chenille legs and claws, black dots and tips on legs and claws, black eyes . (recommended for Bonefish)
- Black Crab - black body, black keel, black binding, black chenille legs and claws, black eyes (recommended for Black Bream)
A small, quality spinning reel, full of premium 10lb braid with a 20lb fluorocarbon leader matched to a fast taper, 7 foot plus spinning rod is the key to maximising your casting distance and effectiveness with these fligs. For bonefish, a slow constant retrieve is interspersed with a flick of the rod tip and brief pause that causes the crab to 'jump' forward and then stop. This is particularly effective when the fish is trailing in behind the crab flig but not committing. The little jump forward and pause is often the key to unlocking the fish's jaw. Try and sight cast to fish, excessive random casting will spook fish that you never even knew were there.
## INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS ##
Due to their ultra-light weight, our Australian made Fligs are a great option when it comes to International Shipping. Up to 20 Fligs will fit in to our cheapest rate International parcels. This is great value, especially considering all our prices are in Australian Dollars. The exchange rate certainly works in your favour.
Eg. The standard shipping charge (including tracking) for up to 20 Fligs to the USA is $20.50AUD (approximately $14.50USD).
We Also Recommend