Shrimp Flig - Size 2
## Designed to imitate a shrimp or prawn cruising on the flats ##
Bonefish are one of the world's great sport fish, they frequent shallow flats in exotic locations, are hard to spot (even in 12 inches of clear water), have amazing eyesight, are easily spooked by a clumsy presentation or angler, actively hunt prey, have amazing bursts of speed courtesy of their oversized tail and are beautiful to handle. As such they have long been in the realm and dreams of the Saltwater Flyrodder.
But what IF you could target them using artificials with a light tackle spinning outfit?
That question has long been floating around in the back of mind, the offer of a trip to the Cocos Keeling Islands in January 2021 with one of my customers brought it right into focus. Plenty of research on the internet, chatting online with bonefish guides etc. resulted in these original, Big John's Jigs 'shrimp fligs'. Product testing was a huge learning curve but also amazingly rewarding, being able to unlock the key to chasing this amazing sport fish with light spin tackle was a real buzz.
- tropical flats predators such as trophy bonefish, barred trevally, golden trevally.
- Australian estuary species such as flathead and various bream.
- 'premium' size 2, XH Mustad black nickel hooks.
- approximately 1/12oz.
- innovative head design means flig will always land the right way up.
- neutral coloured flig heads to blend in with the flats environment.
- natural shrimp colour schemes.
- finn racoon wing material for maximum action with the slightest movement.
- krystal flash antenna.
- barred or sili rubber legs.
- premium 'easy shrimp eyes', all one piece for added durability.
- quality Enrico Puglisi body materials.
- Old Faithful - white head, tan binding, tan body and wing, yellow barred legs, black antenna, black eyes. (recommended for Bonefish)
- Captain Smith - white head, white binding, tan body and wing, natural barred legs, pearl antenna, black eyes. (recommended for Bonefish)
- Fire Cracker - orange head, pink shrimp body, tan wing, orange barred legs, bonefish pink antenna, amber eyes.
A small, quality spinning reel, full of premium 10lb braid and a fast taper, 7 foot plus spinning rod is the key to maximising your casting distance and effectiveness with these fligs. For bonefish, a slow and constant retrieve speed that causes the flig to puff away sand as it moves along the bottom has proven to be the most effective retrieve style to date. Try and sight cast to fish, excessive random casting will spook fish that you never even knew were there.
We Also Recommend